Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Three months

I read posts about babies growing too fast all the time. Clearly every baby grows too quickly. But that doesn't stop each of us who is a mother from thinking that time has somehow been stolen from us personally.

I truly cannot fathom that it has been three months since Peter came into my world. He's still a baby... he doesn't do all that much... but every time a baby enters a family the world is changed for them. As we watch Peter grow and mimic and smile, like most mothers I know, I ache for time to slow down.

Peter is a doll of a baby so far. I truly have no complaints about this one. (Have I complained about my babies before? Maybe I never do; I've been a very lucky mom). We are alternately told that Peter looks just like Ruth and just like Meg, and I agree. Meg looked exactly like Ruth, and Peter looks just like them. I can't wait to see how the similarity unfolds in to a little boy, as I happen to think that Ruth and Meg are both pretty girly looking girls. Maybe it's just all the hair, though, and Peter is already showing his masculine side on that feature. The kid's hair is so short and fine and light that he looks nearly bald. That's not normal for my children and it makes me chuckle on a regular basis. I'm used to having to brush hair at this point. I think I've brushed Peter's twice since we came home from the hospital, and both times were just for kicks.

"Are you getting any sleep?" It's a question I hear a lot as a mother of an infant. I almost hate to answer it. What am I supposed to say, exactly? Yup. Pretty much as much as I've ever gotten since becoming a mom. The kid goes to bed at 8:30 and I wake him at 6:00 to feed him and put him back down before I have to start hustling the big girls through their before-school routine. It doesn't feel right to be able to answer that way with a three month old! Although that's not atypical for my babies. I'm so, so spoiled. Sorry.

He spits up a little; he seldom dirties his diaper (what an efficient little digestive system my boy has!). He is content to talk to his mobile animals or the toys on his playmat for nice stretches of time. He likes his swing and he loves when his sisters sing to him. He's a generally good baby, and I thank God for him every day. I'd do that even if he was naughty, but I imagine it's easier this way.

What might the future hold? If he's this good now, will he rebel at 15? 10? 2? There's no telling. I fear Peter is lulling me into a false sense of complacency, but at some point the wild rumpus will begin. (I tell him often, "I'll eat you up, I love you so," before nibbling his toes, so I may be setting a bad precedent).

Oh, but there is this one thing he does. It has me nervous. It's a first for my babies...
We've given him a pacifier more than any of the girls because he liked it and because we could see the potential for thumb-sucking and were hoping to avoid it. He seldom needs a pacifier any more. However, a few days ago I checked on him during nap and discovered this. Since then, I've seen it more and more. I'm not sure there's any stopping it.

My mother-in-law at dinner on Sunday: Oh, if he does suck his thumb you're so lucky. He'll be the happiest baby in the world! Self-soothing.

Me, unimpressed: He's already the happiest baby in the world. We don't need him to suck his thumb, too!

I know, I know. It's not the end of the world. It may not be bad at all. But you just never know, and it's a new parenting issue for me. I tend to shy away from the unknown. But, we'll survive. That doesn't mean I'll be pushing his thumb into his mouth to help him find his comfort there anytime soon, but I'll cope if he finds it on his own.

Enough about the sucking of thumbs! Back to Peter as the world's most wonderful three-month-old. I love him dearly.
I kiss him about a million times a day. I cannot imagine my world without his big gummy smiles and his "goo"s and his sticking his tongue out at me to make me laugh.
And so I ask the days and weeks and months, Please! Please take your time. Let him be my baby for as long as possible.

5 comments:

Kati said...

Oh! Peter is a doll! Felicity is our first thumb sucker, too. It definately makes us nervous. Hopefully they'll just stop on their own, right? :)

Anonymous said...

That striped sleeper makes me miss baby Henry.

Love the pictures on Grandma's Sherri's striped quilt.

I'm still getting over the fact that you have a boy...can't begin to fathom he is 3 months old. ;)

Emily said...

I have been watching my babies grow in leaps and bounds before my eyes but I still can't believe that Peter is 3 months old already! He looks so adorable and cuddly.

Kate is our first thumb sucker too. She will take a pacifier if it is nearby but goes for her thumb if nothing else is around.

Anonymous said...

Wow! He really does resemble Meg and Ruth. Love those roly poly thighs! Give 'em a squeeze for me.

G.

kate said...

My daughter took a pacifier for about 4 months before discovering her two middle fingers. Now she is turning 6 and really only sucks on them when she is falling asleep. I think most kids outgrow it but I don't think there's much you can do about it at 3 months anyway!

He's so cute and look at those chubs! The time does go by fast!